Information-for-Mandatory Reporters

Where can I learn more about MSU's mandatory reporting obligations?

Please review the University Reporting Protocol.

Am I a mandatory reporter?

All University employees, other than those listed below, have reporting obligation when the employee becomes aware of relationship violence, stalking, or sexual misconduct that involves a member of the University community (faculty, staff, or student) or occurring at a University event or on University property.

  • MSU Center for Survivors
  • MSU Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention (SACI) Team
  • MSU Claimant and Respondent Representatives
  • MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)
  • MSU Couple and Family Therapy Clinic
  • MSU Safe Place
  • MSU Health Promotion
  • MSU Gender and Sexuality Campus Center (GSCC)
  • MSU Prevention, Outreach, and Education (POE)
  • MSU Employee Assistance Program
  • MSU Health Care Inc.
  • MSU Psychological Clinic
  • MSU Sexual Assault Healthcare Program
  • MSU Student Health Services
  • University Ombudsperson

Where do I have to report?

  • Sexual and Relationship Violence: OIE and MSU Police
  • Sexual Harassment: OIE

Note: filing a report with the Public Incident Reporting Form which includes your name, contact information, and all information you know about the incident (including any claimant, respondent, or witness names) will fully satisfy your mandatory reporting requirement.

Are there any times when I don't have to report?

Public awareness or activism events and other public forums at which students or employees disclose experiences with relationship violence, stalking, or sexual misconduct are not considered notice to the University for the purposes of this Policy unless the individual also initiates a complaint under this Policy (e.g., Take Back the Night, town hall meetings, focus groups, open forums, protests).

What information do I have to give?

You must report all relevant details about the alleged relationship violence or sexual misconduct that occurred on campus or at a campus-sponsored event, including the names of the affected individual, the accused individual, and any witnesses, and any other relevant facts, including the date, time, and specific location of the incident.

What if I am a University employee, but I learn about something in my personal capacity?

You are only required to report relationship violence, stalking, or sexual misconduct of which you become aware in your capacity as a University employee, not in your personal capacity.

What if the affected individual does not want me to report?

If someone wants to tell you what happened, but also wants you to maintain confidentiality, you should tell them that the University will consider the request, but cannot guarantee confidentiality.  You may advise the individual that the details of the incident will be disclosed only to those officials with a legitimate institutional interest in knowing the information. In reporting the details of the incident to OIE, you must inform OIE of the individual's request for confidentiality. OIE will weigh the request for confidentiality against the University’s obligation to provide a safe, non-discriminatory environment for all students and employees, including the affected individual.  More information about how OIE weighs those factors can be found in the RVSM and Title IX Policy.

At times, in order to provide a safe, non-discriminatory environment for members of the campus community, the University may not be able to honor an individual's request for confidentiality. In such circumstances, OIE will inform the individual prior to starting an investigation and will share information only with people involved in the University’s investigation. The affected individual is not required to participate in the investigation.

What if I am not a University employee but I have information about relationship violence, stalking, or sexual misconduct?

Students or third parties who witness acts of relationship violence, stalking, or sexual misconduct perpetrated by a member of the University community (faculty, staff, or student) or occurring at a University event or on University property are strongly encouraged to report the information to OIE and the MSU Police.

I am a faculty member or instructor.  Is there recommended language I can put in my syllabus to notify students that I am a mandatory reporter?


Michigan State University is committed to fostering a culture of caring and respect that is free of relationship violence and sexual misconduct, and to ensuring that all affected individuals have access to services.  For information on reporting options, confidential advocacy and support resources, university policies and procedures, or how to make a difference on campus, visit the Title IX website at

Limits to confidentiality.  Essays, journals, and other materials submitted for this class are generally considered confidential pursuant to the University's student record policies.  However, students should be aware that University employees, including instructors, may not be able to maintain confidentiality when it conflicts with their responsibility to report certain issues to protect the health and safety of MSU community members and others.  As the instructor, I must report the following information to other University offices (including the Department of Police and Public Safety) if you share it with me:

  • Suspected child abuse/neglect, even if this maltreatment happened when you were a child;
  • Allegations of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, or sexual harassment; and
  • Credible threats of harm to oneself or to others.

These reports may trigger contact from a campus official who will want to talk with you about the incident that you have shared.  In almost all cases, it will be your decision whether you wish to speak with that individual.  If you would like to talk about these events in a more confidential setting, you are encouraged to make an appointment with the MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services.

What if I have questions about whether I have to report something?

Questions about whether a disclosure must be reported can be referred to the Office of the General Counsel, the Office of Institutional Equity, the MSU Police Department, or the University Ombudsperson.