File a report

MSU treats all reports filed with OIE seriously. Anyone is welcome to file a report with OIE, including students, faculty, staff, and guests. Both reports involving the Anti-Discrimination Policy and Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct and Title IX Policy may be filed online via the Public Incident Reporting Form or by calling OIE at 517-353-3922 between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

All individuals are encouraged to promptly report possible violations of MSU’s Anti-Discrimination Policy and Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct and Title IX Policy. In addition, all individuals are encouraged to report conduct that may also violate criminal law to both MSU Police and to local law enforcement.

  • Report to the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE). The Title IX Coordinator has designated OIE to respond to and investigate reports. Reports under the RVSM and Title IX Policy may also be made directly to the Title IX Coordinator.
  • Contact the MSU Police for assistance in filing a criminal complaint and preserving physical evidence, and/or
  • Contact local law enforcement to file a criminal complaint.

Individuals may wish to also speak with confidential resources to discuss reporting options in a confidential setting.

Information sharing

The MSU Police Department and Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) independently investigate complaints of relationship violence and sexual misconduct.

OIE is required to notify the MSU Police of all reports it receives regarding sexual assaults, relationship violence, and stalking. This does not obligate you to talk to the police, and the choice about whether to participate in a law enforcement investigation remains with you.

MSU Police Department reports all incidents to OIE. The MSU Police Department shares information about ongoing investigations with the OIE to the extent that sharing such information will not interfere with law enforcement proceedings.

If you have experienced sexual misconduct, relationship violence, stalking, discrimination, or harassment, or would like to make a report to help a friend or colleague, you can contact:

MSU Police

(517) 355-2221
MSU Police Website

Office of Institutional Equity (OIE)

(517) 353-3922
5 Olds Hall

MSU Police and OIE

Public Incident Reporting form